Nothing beats a morning run to freshen up my day! Sometimes I am asked what it is about running that I love so much. I always pause, taken aback by the question, as if I am being asked why I love my family, my friends, or my dog.
I just do.
I remember the day that hooked me on running. It was during my first 5k race in January 2012. I had been running on and off since 2008, but I never understood why anyone could enjoy 30 minutes of breathless agony. What kind of strange people were they, I would wonder.
As I dig deeper and more intrinsically, I realized that I have many reason to why I love to run. The answer will probably depend on the day, time, distance and many various factors.
Here are my top 5:
1. Running keeps me happy as simple as that. When I come home from my runs I feel I can tackle whatever life throws at me. It clears my head and helps me stay strong. Every time I go on a run, my stress and anxiety goes away, I find a new sense of clarity, and I’m always reminded, that everything is going to be okay.
2. Running clothes are so cute! My running clothes make me feel sexy like I am Black Widow or something. I don’t know. Haha!
3. Running allows me to eat. Eating allows me to run. It makes me hungry for all sorts of delicious food and I love that I can eat it “guilt-free” so I would say I run to eat.
4. Running challenges me in ways that I have never experienced – it pushes and prods and hurts and dares me to go further, faster, harder, stronger, gives me freedom, I could go on and on… I love the challenge of trying to beat a race time or see how far I can go… And most importantly, It challenges me to challenge myself.
5. I love running because of the people we get to know even if it just for a race. I have met so many great people through running and found a community of friends showing me that running can bring out the best in myself and result in loving friendships.
So many wonderful reasons to love it. I think that some people who don’t run think that it’s really about losing weight or being fit but that’s not really it. It’s more than that! It’s a life-changing activity that anyone could engage in. No matter your age, size, speed, experience level, running is open to everyone.